- Hong Kong Marriage Equality logs information relating to site usage. The information gathered is for internal use to allow us to refine and improve our site.
- Hong Kong Marriage Equality complies with the provisions of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance. Hong Kong Marriage Equality will not use or pass on personal information relating to users for commercial gain.
Personal Information Collection Statement
- Hong Kong Marriage Equality (“HKME”, “us” or “we”) is committed to protecting the privacy of its donors and supporters. All personal data collected and administered by us is treated with the strictest confidence and in compliance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.
- Our personal information collection practices are set out below, detailing the type of information we gather and track, how the information is used and with whom the information is shared. This Privacy Statement also applies to personal data which is collected, processed or used by HKME’s service providers for service delivery on our behalf.
- From time to time, you will be asked to provide us with personal data about yourself including your name, contact information, credit card payment details etc., in order for you to:
- make a donation
- support a campaign
- sign up to an event or activity
- subscribe to an e-newsletter
- purchase a gift or product
- submit your application for employment or volunteering opportunities
- respond to a donor survey
The exact purpose for which we will use your personal data is set out in the personal information collection statement provided to you on or before the collection of your personal data. Depending on the nature of the activities in which you may take part, some of the information we request from you will be mandatory, while the supply of other information is optional. At the time of collection of your personal data, we will indicate what is mandatory and what is optional. If you choose not to let us have the mandatory information, we may not be able to provide the related services or products requested by you.
- By submitting to HKME your personal data, you consent to HKME’s usage of your data in connection with the provision of services or products that you wish to acquire in accordance with the personal information collection statement provided to you on or before the collection of your personal data.
- For operational reasons, we may use external third parties to support our service provision, which may consist of credit card payment processing, customer enquiries handling, packaging and delivery, and marketing and communication activities on our behalf (we will never provide your personal data to any third party service provider for the purposes of enabling that third party to market its own products or services to you). The personal data we transfer to our service providers (whether inside or outside Hong Kong) is provided strictly on a need-to-know basis, and the security and confidentiality of all personal data is safeguarded by contractual means between HKME and our service providers.
- In order to improve the quality of our service, we also from time to time use your personal data for statistics and survey purposes. All reports we share or publish do not contain personally identifiable information. Your privacy is protected.
- When you visit our website, a cookie is downloaded onto your computer alongside the web content. A cookie is a small amount of data that is sent from the web server to your browser and stored in the hard drive of your computer. It is used to assign a unique identification to your computer and securely store information such as user IDs, passwords, preferences, and online profiles. To improve the quality of our service and communication, HKME, and occasionally, our advertising and media contractors, may use this data anonymously to analyze trends and statistics. You can choose to disable such cookies by changing your browser settings.
- HKME receives its funding only from private individuals and corporate donors. We are not funded by the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. As such, we rely on the kind contribution from our donors and supporters to let us continue our work in advancing marriage equality in Hong Kong. Therefore, we would like to be able to contact you to keep you informed of HKME and HKME’s campaigns, activities and fundraising appeals to support HKME’s work.
- We cannot use your personal data for such purposes without obtaining your prior consent. You can indicate your preference not to receive such information in the personal information collection statement provided to you at the time that we collect your personal data for such purposes. You can also contact us at any time (via the contact details below) to inform us that you wish to cease receiving such further marketing materials. It may take up to maximum 20 working days for your request to become effective.
- HKME strives not to maintain personal data for longer than necessary in order to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. As a general rule, we store in our database:
- donation and sales records for at least 7 years.
- personal particulars of event participants, campaign supporters, volunteers, and mailing list subscribers for 5 years.
- unsuccessful applications for job, volunteering and programme activities for 6 months.
All information is disposed of by secure means.
- Under the Hong Kong Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, you have the right to request access to and correction of your personal data held by us. Such requests may be made to HKME in writing by sending an email to Data Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HKME endeavors to process the request within 40 calendar days of receipt. A fee of HK$5 per page of hard copy documents provided will be charged. The fee is to cover the direct costs incurred by HKME in complying with the request.
- Any information provided to HKME by users of our website is held with the utmost care and security and will not be used in ways other than as set forth in this Privacy Statement and/or the relevant personal information collection statement, or in accordance with the prior consent of the relevant individual. HKME employs a range of techniques and security measures to protect the information maintained on our system from loss, misuse, unauthorized access or disclosure, alteration, or destruction. WHILE HKME ENDEAVORS TO TAKE ALL REASONABLE AND NECESSARY STEPS TO SECURELY HANDLE AND MAINTAIN OUR DATABASE, WE CANNOT GUARANTEE THE SECURITY OF THE INFORMATION AND THEREFORE ASSUME NO RESPONSIBILITY AND DISCLAIM ALL LIABILITY IN THIS REGARD.
- HKME’s website contains links to other sites operated by third parties. We cannot be responsible for and have no control over the privacy policies or the content of these websites.
- HKME reserves the right to disclose any personal data if so required or permitted by law.
- We may make changes to this Privacy Statement from time to time. The amended Privacy Statement applies from the date it is posted on our site and will govern the way in which we collect and use personal data from the date of the change. However, if we intend to use your personal data for a new purpose not directly related to the original purpose of collection (as specified in the relevant personal information collection statement provided to you), then we will obtain your consent prior to such new use.
- By using our site, you consent to the collection and use of information by HKME in accordance with this Statement. If you do not agree to this Statement, please do not use our site.